500 gm aloo (potatoes) - peeled, boiled
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup yogurt-beaten smooth
2 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp coriander leaves
How to make aloo badiyan rasedaar :
- Break the potatoes, by holding them in your palm and closing your fists.
- Heat oil and add the badis in very briefly-just put them in, quickly turn them over and remove from oil, keep aside. They should barely get darkened.
- In the same oil, add cumin, when it splutters, add the potatoes and fry over high flame but just slightly. Add salt, turmeric and badis.
- Stir-fry till mixed well. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and badis, bring to a boil and simmer, till the badis get soft, but hold their shape.
- Add the yogurt and mix well and serve the aloo badi curry immediately garnished with coriander leaves.
500 gm aloo (potatoes) -peeled and cut into rounds
Oil for deep frying
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp red chillies-coarsely pounded
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried mango powder
How to make aloo tuk:
- Heat oil in a kadahi to a point when a piece of potato put in, comes up at once. Put in the potato rounds, lower flame to medium and fry to a creamish colour, with the edges a little darker.
- Remove from kadahi, drain excess oil. Put aside to cool a little.
- Once cool, flatten by pressing between palms.
- Just before serving, reheat oil and re-fry aloo (potatoes) to a golden brown, over high flame to make them crisp on the outside and fully cooked inside.
- Drain excess oil on absorbent paper. Mix in salt, red and black pepper, dried mango powder and coriander and serve hot aloo took.
Ingredients: of bagara baigan:
1/2" piece of ginger root
2 Minced green chilies
1/4 cup Shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp Garam masala
4 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Black mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp Whole cumin seeds
1/8 tsp Asafetida
6 md Potatoes, boiled & cubed
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Coriander
1 sm Eggplant in 1" cubes
1 tsp Salt
3 tbsp Fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp Lemon juice
Preparation of aloo baingan:
- Combine ginger, green chilies & coconut in blender with 1/3 cup of water till smooth. Add garam masala & pulse for a few seconds. Set aside.
- Heat ghee. Whe hot, add mustard & cumin seeds & fry for a few seconds. Stir in the asafetida & almost immediately put in the potatoes. Stir fry for 5 minutes Then pour in the mixture from the blender. Add the turmeric, coriander, eggplant, salt & half the fresh coriander. Mix very gently so as not to break the vegetables.
- Reduce heat & fry very gently until the liquid has evaporated. In the aloo baigan mix lemon juice & remaining coriander greens & serve.
Ingredients for dhum aloo:900gms Aloo (Potatoes)
33/4th cups water
Salt To Taste
Ghee or oil for deep-frying
1 cup ghee
1 large Onion (finely chopped)
4 tbsp tomato puree
140 ml curd
4 tbsp hot water
1 green pepper (seeds removed and sliced)
1tsp garam masala powder
4 bay leaves
6 black peppercorns
4 green cardamoms
1 brown cardamom
1piece cinnamon stick
1 large onion (chopped)
12 flakes garlic
2 tbsp ginger
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chilies
1 tsp turmeric powder
A pinch of ground mace
A pinch of ground nutmeg
How to make kashmiri dum aloo:
- Scrape the aloo (potatoes), prick all over with a fork and soak in the water with little salt for 2 hours.
- Dry the potatoes on a cloth and heat the ghee or oil.
- Deep fry the potatoes until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the measured ghee in a flameproof pan and fry onions with all the spices until golden.
- Grind the paste ingredients to a fairly smooth paste and stir into the onions.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, curd and salt.
- Add the aloo (potatoes) and hot water and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dum aloo with pepper and garam masala and cook for few minutes.